THE MONTE MESMA
In a chestanut wood at Ameno a processional way past little chaples leads to the summit of the hill called Monte Mesma (576 metres above sea level).
Here a church and a Franciscan convent were built in 1600, as were the chaples, on the ruins of an old castle. The renovated church treasures a crucifix by the sculptor, Lentignani.
The simple convent, with its pure lines and two fine communicating cloisters, is the dwelling of a community of friars and a centre of spirituality.
In the photo Brother Daniel is reading, leaning on the huge stove of Oira stone, once the only source of heating in the convent.